A Dozen Favorite Things to Do in Santa Clarita
Having lived and worked in the Santa Clarita Valley for decades, I’ve noticed a plethora of exciting things to do for entertainment. Only 35 miles from downtown LA, it is nestled in the foothills leading to the high Sierras, making for an outdoor wonderland. Over the years, developing from farmland into a mini metropolis, it now boasts almost everything a city could ask for. Discover below, some of the adventures that await you, many of them free…
- Six Flags Magic Mountain : At one time practically the only thing out here, this amusement park offers the best in rides along with themed shows throughout the day such as popular cartoon characters, as well as delightful dining and shopping experiences.
- Six Flags Hurricane Harbor : Diverse water park experiences has something for everyone, from daredevil waterslides and wild toboggans to relaxing cruises down the Lazy River, and wading in shallow pools and enticing lagoons. To re-fuel, delectable dining venues abound.A Dozen Favorite Things to Do in Santa Clarita
- Vasquez Rocks : One never tires of visiting these glorious, otherworldly rock formations, their image engraved in your mind as the setting for many productions such as Star Trek IV, Blazing Saddles, The Flintstones, Cars and many more. Enjoy hiking and rock climbing with unending photo opportunities, and from May through October you can take part in guided tours about local wildlife.
- Gibbons Conservation Center : You wont want to miss this opportunity to visit these adorable primates, living in their natural-like habitat. Perhaps you will even get lucky enough to catch one of their thrilling group “sing-alongs’. Tours are open to the public every Saturday and Sunday beginning at 10am, with no advance reservations necessary
- The Gentle Barn : Warm your hearts at this animal rescue center located on 6 picturesque acres that features a barn bursting with more than 170 animals. Cuddle and play with horses, peacocks, llamas, pigs, turkeys and many more, while learning kindness and tolerance. Surprise your loved one with a romantic date night or vacation package getaway.
- Saint Francis Dam : For some unusual sightseeing visit the remains of this historical landmark, where the worst disaster in California took place back in 1926. Situated amongst the local flora and fauna, you can take a guided one-hour hike and find out what the experts say about this unforgettable event.
- Passages : Dedicated to exploring the Bible, this 300,000 square foot museum provides exhibits, artifacts, and texts, as well as background information on Protestant, Roman Catholic and Jewish history.
- Mountasia Family Fun Center : Designed for both children and adults, there’s almost endless activities from bumper boats to go carts to batting cages, miniature golf, rock climbing, laser tag and a vintage style arcade for some classic gaming. Their refreshing ice cream parlor awaits at the end of your day.
- Westfield Town Center : Bustling with high end stores and luxury retailers such as Michael Kors and Swarovski this indoor/outdoor shopping venue also features general retailers and specialty shops for health foods, sports equipment and so much more. Restaurants and a lively food court will fulfill your taste buds. There is also a movie theatre.
- Walk of Western Stars : Our very own walk of fame, located on Main Street in Old Town Newhall, is a place where the old west comes alive again. Stroll amongst the stars that pay tribute to Western Legends in the field of acting, directing and writing.
- Placertita Nature Center : This idyllic park features Oak groves, hiking trails, a seasonal creek and waterfall, picnicking, a small museum with nature programs and the “Oak of the Golden Dream” site where gold was first found during the California Gold Rush of 1842.
- William S. Hart’s Museum : The former home of the silent film actor and director from the 1900s, this Spanish Colonial style mansion showcases works by notable western artists such as Frederic Remington, and Joe de Jong, along with Native American artifacts and early Hollywood memorabilia.
Today is but a handful of the delightful activities to entice you. Remember, check back for future blogs highlighting other spectacular venues that will help you get up, get out and explore your Santa Clarita Valley.